Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sunday Music: Grieg



Last night, I relaxed under the open sky, drinking vinho verde and listening to a spectacular live performance of Edvard Grieg's Piano Concerto in A Minor. It was one of the last Grant Park Music Festival events of the summer, another bittersweet reminder that fall is almost here. The pianist on Saturday was Valentina Lisitsa. I wish I could have embedded a clip of her performing the piece, but she seems to exercise tight control of her brand, especially when it comes to content on YouTube. Instead, I've included the best performance of (part of) Part 3 that I could find there, by Norwegian Steffen Horn, accompanied by an unidentified orchestra. Many pianists play the "dance" part too quickly; I like Horn's more nuanced interpretation.

There are two concerts remaining in the season. They are free, and you can bring a picnic, wine included.

Grant Park Music Festival [Link]

No comments: