Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sunday Music: Link Wray



When rockabilly legend Link Wray died in 2005, quite a bit of ink was spilled concerning his enormous legacy, not the least of which was to bring the so-called "power chord" into the lead melody. I won't try to reproduce this, mostly because I'm not a guitarist and will be way in over my head if I try. Although he played for over 50 years, his work in the late 50s to early 60s is what's best remembered. Wray, who perfected his guitar technique in part because respiratory problems made singing difficult, was still strong and clear the few recordings where he did do vocals. Below are two of his lesser-known songs, including Hillbilly Wolf, with Wray singing.





Link Wray tribute from Something I Learned Today [Link]

Link Wray obituary from New York Night Train [Link]

No comments: