Monday, November 26, 2007

I don't want to hear it anymore

I recently took a couple of vocal techniques classes at Old Town School of Folk Music. At the beginning of class, the instructor usually asks each of us to name a favorite singer. I adore several, including a few who don't have so-called "good" singing voices, such as Randy Newman. A single-octave range with sensitive phrasing, that's singing technique to which even I can aspire. But in the intermediate class, when asked the same question, I decided to shoot for the moon. "Dusty Springfield," I answered. The blank looks from my classmates were alarming. Am I really that old? "You know, 'Son of a Preacher Man' from Pulp Fiction?..." Thank god they included Dusty Springfield's biggest U.S. hit in that soundtrack. "Oh yeah, that's really good...so she had some other songs?" asked a young woman sitting next to me.

Yes, she had some other songs. This is Dusty Springfield in 1969, singing Randy Newman's I Don't Want To Hear It Anymore. Voice + Song = Perfect.

5 comments:

Celia said...

If you like Dusty, you might also enjoy (perhaps you already do) Sammi Smith: http://wm09.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll Jack introduced me to her "Help me make it through the night." He found it in a $.25 record bin years ago.

The Fifty Foot Blogger said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I just found a video of her singing "Help Me Make It Through The Night" on YouTube. I wonder how much bourbon you have to drink to sound like that.

Anonymous said...

Ah, Dusty... although "The Look of Love" has been covered several times since she did it -- hers is the only one that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0RblTczis9s

The Fifty Foot Blogger said...

Written by the brilliant Burt Bacharach..so dreamy and sensual. I have to agree that Dusty's version is the best.

Anonymous said...

Dusty was the best female singer that Britain has ever produced. She often had problems remembering the lyrics to the songs so she used to write them on her hands which is why you get those wonderful dramatic hand gestures. Oh and of course she was a good pal of Scott Walker (who had very similar hand movements come to think of it).